Tuesday, October 20, 2015

                                                   ROBERT^
 It would not be correct to say that I knew him well. In my earliest recollections he was working on a Case Model K tractor. You may well ask what is a Case Model K? It was a four cylinder machine built by the J.C. Case company. This particular model was produced in 1919 and along with a separator built by the same company constituted a small grain trashing rig owned and operated by my father. Tractors and many other machines were not very reliable in those days. I cannot remember ever seeing the rig in operation, however it seems to me that the tractor needed a great deal of attention and Robert was usually the mechanic. These memories must come from a time period of the early Twenties. How do I know this? In about 1924 he and my brother Julius went with a local contractor to Liberal, Kansas where they built what I believe was a school building. After that time he was only at home on visits. I believe it was the year 1926 when he went to the Black Hills of South Dakota. This was at the request of Uncle Bob (Agnes Cline and Herrold Morgan's father). He had some business arrangement with Uncle Bob whereby he worked as part owner and operator of what was known as the Woods Ranch. This was a cattle and farming operation. Brother Julius joined him about a year later. His early boyhood fitted him well for this because he had a great deal of experience riding broncs or should I say breaking them to the saddle and handling cattle. Another incident 1 can remember occurred while he was still at home. On weekdays it was the custom to bring the work horses in from pasture and feed and harness them before breakfast. Rare was the day when at least one team was not needed for the days work. Dad and I were sleeping out under some walnut trees. We often slept outside in summer. We were still in bed that morning when Robert's voice awakened me. He said "Nig is dead." Nig was one of our work mules. He was born in 1905 so our birthdays were separated by fourteen years. Except for brief visits I saw him very little after I was seven years old. I think that as an older brother he often felt the need to discipline me. I was never really close to him. He died in the spring of 1953. At that time he was operating a sawmill at Pringle, So. Dakota. His family still operates it as this is written. (1997) By now you know that he was my brother, the eldest of a family of ten children. His body is buried in a cemetery at Pringle, So. Dakota. More about the ranch later.

No comments: