Tuesday, October 20, 2015

March 8,1997 •
I must tell you about my neighbor, Vivian. For the better part of fifty years we lived on adjoining farmsteads. There was a special bond between our families. We had a great deal in common. Mary, my wife, was born here and Vivian moved here as a bride in 1940. Thus you can see that our families shared many years together. The children all completed the 4-H program. Clarence, her husband, and I often worked together. We differed somewhat in our religious views; but we often discussed it and it in no way came between us. We could work together very well. In fact he is the only neighbor that I traded work with. Clarence and Vivian raised six children and put them all through college. They were a very frugal family and it amazed me that they were able to finance all this from the income from a small farm. We were very close and good neighbors and the amazing thing is that we had very different goals. I believe it is fair to state that the driving force behind their desire for their childrens' college education was motivated by a vision of financial success. Mary and I held a different view. We merely wished that our children would use their God given skills in a manner that would enrich their lives. Needless to say there are few college degrees in our family. Several years were spent in various college classrooms but a great deal of their preparation for a career was done outside the formal classroom. I have no regrets. This is just another example of the God given uniqueness of the individual. But, on with the story. Clarence died in the early eighties. From that time forward my neighbor Vivian and I worked together operating her farm. Now that period has come to an end. I now have new neighbors. She sold the farm. I doubt if the new neighbors and I will have much in common. Of all the women that 1 have known, Mary, and memory of her will always be in first place. Vivian would come in second place. We too share a very different but special bond. I cannot explain it nor shall I attempt to. She is a part of my cherished memories. Can yon understand that, my children? I believe you can and will because it is true

No comments: