Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Nov. 10, 1996
The longest journeys have their end The darkest shadows flee Even the dreariest rivers Find their way to the sea. So said the poet of long ago. What longer journey is there than that one on the path of life. When I think of the path of life I am reminded of another poet and his poem. Someday I shall search my library and read it again. "The House by the Side of the Road" In essence he says. "Let me live in a house by the side of the road and be a friend to man." I am especially touched by his ending. It is something to ponder in times of self evaluation. He continues: Some are good Some are bad Some are weak Some are strong Some are foolish So ami What brings on moods like this? I feel drained. I spoke in a church this morning. The message was that we must actively seek out the lost and lead them back to the path that leads to life everlasting. I stressed the importance of placing the Bible along the highways and byways of the world. I left that church with a feeling that it was flat, not exactly a failure, just flat. Some might call this mood depression but I do not think so. Only God can evaluate the results and I must let it rest there. It is times like these when I really miss Mary. She was a very quiet person but somehow her very presence filled a void. I remember many occasions on a long trip home from who knows where; I would lay my hand on the seat between us; or perhaps the order was reversed and she would lay out her hand. Regardless of who made the advance the response was the same. The partner's hands would join. There was no radio noise that might break the spell neither was a word spoken. At such precious moments nothing spoken was needed. Indeed a spoken word would shatter the silent communion. The point is this; life must be shared. If it is not then the words of the writer of Ecclesiastes seem appropriate. All else is meaningless and a chasing after wind. Those who pile up worldly goods may do so but it becomes a driving force. What is possessed is not enough. More and more becomes the goal. How many times have I heard someone say. "I would have had more but ." You, dear reader fill in the blanks. Is this not the seeds of greed sprouting within the soul. In an attempt at self examination I can say with confidence that amassing earthly treasures was never a goal. We raised our children and none of them are wealthy. If I am wrong then Mary and I failed. My most precious wish is to truthfully say, as did the Apostle Paul "I have run the race, I have fought the good fight, I have kept the faith." I have always followed a simple rule (and have sometimes failed). If what I do will harm some one else then I should not do it, or never take advantage of some one else, even in business. This certainly is not worldly wisdom. I have seen this trait in my sons and I am well pleased. The vengeance is mine, I will repay saith the Lord. So let it be.
The gathering clouds of mood are now gone. Is it possible to commune just by writing it down? If this be so then it adds credence to what the scripture teaches. "It is not good that man should be alone." The fact is that we are never alone unless we choose to isolate our selves. To do so leads to death; both physical (perhaps by self destruction) and, saddest of all eternal death.

No comments: